Rental Assistance Demonstration
RAD is a federal program offered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). It provides public housing authorities with a powerful tool to preserve and improve public housing properties.
Under the RAD program, GPDM can convert public housing to the Section 8 project-based voucher program. This will allow GDPM to obtain financing to:
- Improve our aging properties
- Invest in additional housing
- Maintain affordable housing for the long term
GDPM has approximately 2,800 public housing units that it intends to convert over a ten year period. The total investment will be more than $500 million.
RAD and Existing Residents
Current and future residents are provided a robust set of rights and protections, including:
- consultation during the conversion process
- the right to return to the property when repairs are completed
- the right to organize and funding for organizing
Additionally, GDPM intends to maintain ownership and management of almost all of the converted properties.
GDPM's RAD Hotline: (937) 910-5444
GDPM's RAD Email: RAD@gdpm.org
HUD RAD Info: www.hud.gov/rad